Top 5 Advantages of Computers
The various Advantages of Computers are :
The speed of a computer is measured in terms of the number of instructions that it can perform or execute in a second.
- The speeds of computers are measured in milliseconds (10~3 sec), micro-seconds (10*6 sec), and nano-seconds (10~9sec).
- Computers are superfast machines and can process millions of instructions per second.
- Smaller computers can execute thousands of instructions per second, while the more complex machines can execute millions of instructions per second.
- Computers are very accurate. They are capable of executing hundreds of instructions without any errors.
- They do not make mistakes in their computations. They perform each and every calculation with the same accuracy.
- The efficiency of computers does not decrease with age.
- The computers can perform repeated tasks with the same efficiency any number of times without exhausting there selves.
- Even if they are instructed to execute millions of instructions, they are capable of executing them all with the same speed and efficiency without exhaustion.
- Computers are capable of storing large amounts of data in their storage devices.
- These dev ices occupy very less space and can store millions of characters in condensed forms.
- These storage devices typically include floppy disks, tapes, hard disks, CDs etc, the data stored on these devices can be retrieved and reused whenever it is required in future.
- Computers are very versatile. They are capable not only of performing complex mathematical tasks of science and engineering, but also other nonnumerical operations fielding air-line reservation, electricity bills, data base management etc.
Limitations of Computers
- Although the computers of today are highly intelligent and sophisticated they have their own limitations.
- The computer cannot think on its own, since it does not have its own brain.
- It can only do what is has been programmed to do. It can execute only those jobs that can be expressed as a finite set of instructions to achieve a specific goal.
- Each of the steps has to be clearly defined. The computers do not learn from previous experience nor can they arrive at a conclusion without going through all the intermediate steps.
- However the impact of computers on today’s society in phenomenal and they are today an important part of the society.
You may also like: