how to make bootable usb windows 7
Why Do You Format USB Flash Drive
- The storage devices that are widely used nowadays are typically HDDs and SSDs, which are always set up on a PC/Mac to install the operating system and store data files.
- Meanwhile, there are many other types of prevailing devices with more flexible features for different purposes. Yes, they are removable storage devices such as USB flash drive.
- The truth is that no matter what drive you're using, it must have a valid file system so that Windows can recognize it and put it to use.
- What's more, it's inevitable to develop bad sectors or corruption issues on a specified flash drive after a long-time use.
- By formatting, you can easily fix any USB flash drive, pen drive or memory stick that is write protected, virus infected, corrupted, damaged, unreadable, unrecognized by PC and Mobile.
- So here comes the question, how to format a USB flash drive? This page mainly illustrates how to format a USB flash drive using Windows inbuilt Command Prompt, and the following is the detailed guide you should strictly follow.
How to Format USB Flash Drive from Command Prompt
- For your information, any form of disk formatting will completely erase data, so backup as many as important files before the start.
- Altogether, you'll walk through the whole formatting process in eight steps, and the time spent will depend on the USB flash drive capacity and used space on it. (The following steps are performed on Windows 10 PC.)
Step 1: Type cmd in the search box, then you can get the best match called Command Prompt. Right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator".
Step 2: On the Command Prompt window, type diskpart and press "Enter".
Step 3: Type list disk and press "Enter". According to the list disk information, check which disk is your USB flash drive. For example, disk 2.
Step 4: Now type select disk 2 and press "Enter".
Step 5: Type clean. Wait some time for disk erasing.
Step 6: Type create partition primary and press "Enter".
Step 7: After diskpart successfully created the specified partition, type format fs=ntfs and press "Enter". If you prefer other file system formats, change the command ntfs to the desired one such as fat32, exfat, etc.
Step 8: Type assign to create a drive letter to the flash drive.
how to make bootable usb windows 7
Step 1: Create or Download an ISO
- Download the Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Microsoft’s website. You need to provide your product key (in the form of xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) to download the file.
- The instructions on the site are pretty easy and straight-forward to follow.
Step 2: Create your Installation USB Drive
- Download Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. Even though it’s stated to be appropriate for Windows 7 and XP, it’s totally OK for you to create Windows 8, Windows 10 setup file with it.
- Double-click the setup file to install Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. Then double-click it to run.
- Click Browse to locate the Windows 7 ISO file that you have downloaded and click Next to continue.
- Click USB device.
- Choose from the drop down menu the USB flash drive that you want to use. Then click Begin copying.
- Now wait for the process to complete.
- Exit the download tool when the process finishes.
Step 3: Install Windows 7 via USB
- Now you can start your PC from USB or you can change the boot order so it will boot from the USB first to run the installation of Windows 7.
You may also like: